Thursday

Shadowbox Inspirations: Displaying Vacation Shells

Well, I think we all know how much I love shadowboxes, and I have found a kindred spirit over at Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures.  Take a moment and be inspired by her creativity. Thank you, Tracy, for sharing your fun idea with us!

Displaying Vacation Shells

My son collected a ton of shells and a large piece of coral for me during our Florida vacation.  I did several posts on our trip if you want to look at the archives.  I highly recommend Florida as a vacation spot.  I don’t have any beachy decor in my house, but I wanted to display the shells anyway.  Here is what I came up with.
IMG_1404
IMG_1407
I tied jute rope around the lamp shade to give it some contrast.  I might want to change it up again so tying it meant I could easily remove it.
IMG_1390
IMG_1391
I put a tag on the lamp to label our vacation shells and because I like tags.
IMG_1389
On some of these shells I did vacation themed rub-ons. 
IMG_1400
IMG_1416
IMG_1398
IMG_1394
IMG_1395
IMG_1397
I made another shadow box like the one I did with my rocks from the Hamptons.  You can see it here.  I picked one that looked like weathered wood from Hobby Lobby.
IMG_1402 
IMG_1401
Can you see the shark’s tooth we found?  We found several on a beach in Venice. 
IMG_1413
These were 2 of my favorite shells.  The spiny one and the curly one.
IMG_1415
IMG_1385
I also painted my frame holder to look rusty.  It was black.  I thought it looked much better rusty. 
IMG_1308
IMG_1405
signature2

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I was thinking of a beachy vignette for the guest bedroom (in-laws visiting from Myrtle Beach next week). I'm going to do this. I love the rub on jletters idea for the shells. Clever girl.

As for your comment on my basement H2O incident, here's what I replied in an email (then realized my replies to you go to noreply-comments@blogspot.com):

OH NO!!! That's horrible. I thought my basement was bad but I don't know what I'd do if it was my NEW craft room. I'm happy to read your precious ShadowCases were high up and I hope the rest gets back to normal soon. :(

Thanks for stopping by & commenting. I'm so far behind my bloggity stuff right now & trying to catch up!

Jami

Amber D said...

Very cool! I like the use of rub-ons and the fact that is a memory and decorations all in one!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Love this! What a great way to remember your trip!

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

Oh gosh!! What a brilliant idea! I have this "thing" for seashells and you should just patent this, I'm loving it!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Really cute idea!