Wednesday

Remembering Rose

God gave us memories so we could have roses in December.



Dear Friends,

It was about this same time last year that I first discovered my Grandmother Rose's things. I remember my sense of wonder, touching her embroidered handkerchiefs, her necklace with the cross--so symbolic of her deep faith--and the charming little brooches... My memories of her came flooding back to me.

I thought of the irises that always came up in the Spring just before she came to visit. I thought of her rose-scented perfume and her cooking. Recipes with German names I couldn't recall but every aroma part of her and part of me too. I was overwhelmed by the need to remember Grandmother Rose.

Saddened that these treasures had been hidden in a box for 20 years, I went looking for a shadowbox of some kind—something that she would have liked. It wasn’t easy to find a display box with the beauty and charm that was so characteristic of her. So I found myself creating a shadowbox that would truly showcase Grandmother Rose and the legacy she left for me.

It was an important beginning...the beginning of Ruth and Rose ShadowCasing. That was a year ago. How time flies. And here we are with another idea, the idea of bringing this journey to you. A small dream grown into a bigger one. One to perhaps bring us all together as we find things, forgotten things, and treasure them. And, I'm hoping, share them with each other on the Ruth and Rose website.

So Best Wishes for the holidays, and let’s chat again soon.




With Memories in Mind

Love and roses, Janna Ruth

No comments: