Monday

Mmm-Mmm Mondays: Frosted Banana Bars

Whenever I get burned out on the domestic-baking side of my life, I go out in search of a fabulous blog with awesome new recipes to experiment with.  I was not disappointed when I found this little gem.  Send some blogging-love over to Kentucky Girl, because she's got some really good recipes you'll want to try.  I know I'll be making this one for my kids after-school snack today.

FROSTED BANANA BARS
(the following is for the actual bars. cream cheese frosting recipe will follow below)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar 
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (which is roughly 2 large bananas)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan. (I wanted to save myself a bit of clean up time so I just lined my pan with aluminum foil and lightly sprayed it with cooking spray.)
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Once combined stir this into the batter mixture.
7. Mix in the mashed bananas.
8. Spread evenly onto the prepared pan.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (at 350 degrees) or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
10. Allow bars to cool before frosting. 


CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

(the original recipe suggests using store bought frosting but I'm not a big fan of store bought frosting but you do have that option if you prefer it. You can use any cream cheese frosting recipe you have....below is the one I used.)

***This frosting is courtesy of one of the reviewers of the banana bars on allrecipes.com. Thanks Laura Jean for the suggestion!***



1 (8oz) block cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
splash of milk (just enough to thin out the frosting)



1. In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
2. Mix in the vanilla.
3. Mix in a splash of milk (enough to just thin it out).
4. Frost the banana bars once they have cooled (again, frosting the bars is optional)


You can store these in the refrigerator and they're great cold!


Thanks again, Kentucky Girl, for sharing this delish recipe with us today. I mean, really. Who doesn't love the welcoming smell of homemade banana bread when you come in the door? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound amazing. I'll definitely be trying these out ;o)

marissa with hadley lane said...

WOW! Thank You so much for featuring my blog and the banana bars!!!! What a nice surprise to wake up to this morning!!! Thank You so much!!!!

~kentucky girl