Monday

Nutty for Coconut!

Ever have those days as a parent where everything is going along fine, you feel like you're doing an acceptable job as a mother, and then WHAM-O!!! you realize that you have forgotten to teach your child about a very important part of life? It happens to me more than I would like, that's for certain!

I gave my 3-year-old an piece of an Almond Joy the other day.  He said, "What is this white thing in here?" I said, "That's called coconut."  He grins at me and says, "It's my FAVORITE!" 

Now the "WHAM-O" moment-- "My almost-4-year-old has never had coconut?  Are you kidding me?"

I realized where I had gone wrong--one of my older children didn't like coconut, so I hadn't thought to give it to my poorly-coconut-deprived youngest son! And to think he might have missed out on some of life's most delectable desserts (in my humble opinion).  So in honor of you, dear son, here is a well-loved family recipe from South Africa, filled with coconut and love!

Coconut Crunchies
2 c. rolled oats
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 T. heavy corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. coconut
1 c. flour
pinch salt

1. Melt sugar, butter, syrup, and soda in a saucepan.
2. Mix oats, coconut, flour, and salt together in large mixing bowl.
3. Add melted mixture into dry ingredients, and mix until like fine crumbs.
4. Press into greased 9X13 baking pan.
5. Bake at 350 deg. for 15-20 min., or until golden brown.
6. Cut into squares immediately, then store in airtight container once cool.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm totally making these... and I might add some mini choc chips?
Looks great!!!

Valerie Bibb said...

Thank you for sharing this special family recipe, my husband used to read the newpaper with the open crunchie tin and a glass of milk and we never went on a trip without them to munch on

Mother of an Expert said...

I LOVE coconut and this looks like a great recipe to try! I know not everyone likes it so it is good to hear of others who have the same passion for the tropical flavor!